Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi author of the book Flow, he is also the former head of psychology at the University of Chicago and once was described as the world’s leading researcher in the field of positive psychology.
According to Csikszentmihalyi, “Flow is the heightened mental state of operation in which a person is fully immersed in what they are doing by way of a feeling of energised focus, fully engaged, involved, and immersed in the single-minded success of all process’s pertaining to the activity.”
Most high performing entrepreneurs, sports people and athletes call it “Being in The Zone.”
So for the layman, we could say that flow is completely focused motivation. It’s the single-minded immersion and represents perhaps the ultimate in harnessing mental, emotional and physical resources in the service of the desired result of the activity. When a person is in flow their emotions are not just contained and channelled, but positive, energised, and aligned with the task at hand.
You will have known the times in your life when you have been in flow or in the zone you would have experienced a feeling of spontaneous joy, even rapture while performing the tasks leading to your end goal.
Can we use the power of conversational hypnosis to change our thinking to create the conditions of “Flow” to increase our effectiveness in any area of life? Csikszentmihalyi through his research identified and wrote about 9 factors that seemed to accompany any “Flow” experience:
- One must have clarity as to what it is that you want. There must always be clearly set goals with a purpose and end in mind
- Concentrating, a high degree of concentration on a limited field of attention and the person’s environment must be set up to achieve this
- A loss of the feeling of self-consciousness, the merging of action and awareness, where the only measure is the satisfaction of achievement
- Distorted sense of time, one’s subjective experience of time is altered, you quite simply get lost in the moment, absorbed by the activity
- Direct and immediate feedback, all actions and reactions are measured as feedback and the necessary adjustments made to maintain aligned with the end goal
- Balance between ability level and challenge. The activity has to have a reward associated with its achievement; it needs to be neither too easy nor too difficult
- There must be perceived personal control over the situation or activity
- The activity is intrinsically rewarding, so there is a sense of effortless natural ability
- People become absorbed in their activity, and focus of awareness is narrowed down to the activity itself, action awareness merging.
But what if we were to enlist the help of our unconscious mind to easily make it a natural way of being for ourselves? If you decided to pick up a glass to take a drink you wouldn’t consciously move all the 159 muscles in your arm to ensure that you do it well and succeed in the task, do you? No! You simply trust your unconscious mind to do it well for you, driven only by the desire to have a refreshing drink of water, you take a complex action and make it a very effective unconscious process that delivers you the perfect result every time, well almost every time!! We can all have the odd clumsy moment where the process lets us down.
It is the transferring as quickly as possible all complex tasks from conscious mind volition to unconscious mind perfection that will allow you to get in “FLOW” with anything that you value and want to accelerate your results in.
This is where conversational hypnosis is the perfect solution for you. A well constructed linguistic benediction will allow all of the desired behaviours to be accepted uncritically as the natural way of being for you directly into the seat of your unconscious mind. Learning to harness the power of your unconscious mind is the guaranteed way to bring “Flow” into every aspect of your life.